SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2013
3:30 P.M. to 11:00 P.M.
1302 NORTH 60TH STREET
ADMISSION: $10.00 per person
For our third year, the Benson Community Garden will present “Benson Oktoberfest” on Saturday, September 14th starting at 5:00 p.m. Admission is $10, which includes live music, bratwurst, side dishes, a silent auction and more. All ages are welcome, but those under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent.
“We are booking local musicians and bands to entertain the attendees,” said Kurt Goetzinger, garden founder. “For our silent auction, we are seeking local businesses to donate items and gift certificates.”
100% of the funds raised that day go to support the operation and maintenance of the community garden.
Founded in 2011, the Benson Community Garden has become one of Omaha’s more active and notable community gardens. The space includes 36 plots for individuals to grow their own fresh fruits and vegetables. In 2012 the organization started the “Neighbor Garden” which features nearly 400 square feet of vegetables for area residents. An “Earth Stage” was built to provide a venue for live music, cooking demonstrations and more.
Traditionally, Oktoberfest is a 16-day festival celebrating beer held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. Running from late September to the first weekend in October. It is one of the most famous events in Germany and is the world’s largest fair, with more than 6 million people from around the world attending the event every year.
- A few people have asked if they can bring side dishes. ABSOLUTELY! If you do, please bring serving utensils, too.
- Can people bring their own beer & wine? Unfortunately, NO. Because we are asking for a freewill donation for admittance, the city will not allow alcohol in the community garden during the event.
- How much is admission? $10 per person suggested donation. 12 & under is a $4 suggested donation. 100% of the funds raised that day go to support the operation and maintenance of the community garden.
- What type of food is available? We’ll have hamburgers and bratwurst on the grill. Freewill donation.
- Will the Husker game be available? NO! This year the Huskers play at 11:00 a.m. so the game will be done a couple hours before we crank up the music.
- Can I sign up for a garden plot for next year? You can sign up to be on the waiting list for next year. We always give our gardeners the first option to return. Those who don’t return are offered to the people on the waiting list.
- Do you need anything for the event? YES! We’re looking for donations for our silent auction (gift certificates, artwork, items, collectibles, etc.). We also need a few extra strands of Christmas lights for the fence. If you would like to donate, please email email@example.com or drop them off on our picnic table in the garden.
- Is this a family-friendly event? ABSOLUTELY …but those under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent.